Pardon the exclamatory headline, friend.
It’s just that…did you know that?
A friend of mine recently sat in on a bar-side trivia game in Jamaica, (lucky her), where one of the questions was—you guessed it—what is the capital of Minnesota? She was the only American who knew the answer!
Which is: St. Paul, of course.
Everyone else said Minneapolis.
So as a favor to the nation I am running this post: a pop quiz comprised of a few key facts for your friends, family and co-workers.
You’ll impress them with your knowledge, I’m so sure.
A Pop Quiz on the Land of Lakes (aka Minnesota)
1. Minnesota’s official nickname is:
a). The Bread and Butter State
b). The North Star State
c). The Gopher State
2. The state flower of Minnesota is:
a). prairie grass
b). pink and white lady’s slipper
3. The state muffin and beverage are:
a). blueberry and milk
b). cinnamon and coffee
c). bran and prune juice
4. The largest city in Minnesota is:
a). St. Paul
c). Minneapolis (ahem!)
5. The state motto L’Etoile du Nord is:
6. The state name comes from Dakota words which mean
a). clear water
b). cloudy water
c). many waters
7. The site of a major 18th century fur trading center in Minnesota is:
a). Walnut Grove
b). St. Croix
c). Grand Portage
8. Which of these movies was filmed in Minnesota?
a). You’ve Got Mail
b). The Mighty Ducks
c). The X-Files
9. Which of these things could you find in Minnesota?
a). the world’s largest ball of twine
b). the world’s largest bull statue
c). the world’s largest smorgasbord
10. The John Beargrease Sled Dog Race goes between
a). Duluth and Grand Marais
b). St. Paul and St. Cloud
c). Winona and Thief River Falls
Answers are in the comment box. Let me know how you did!
This quiz was taken from The Big Minnesota Reproducible Activity Book
Image from CNN.com.
Leave a Reply