One month ago yesterday, on the feast of the mighty Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, we brought home our puppy, Elody.
(You’d better believe I noted the feast day. I need these guys to get me through this.)
In honor, then, of the past 30 days, I have crafted a top ten list.
Here it is.
10. Having an excellent reason to go for a walk every day. Should you talk yourself out of this aerobic exercise, as according to our weak human nature we are prone to do, you will later be dealing with puddles and piles upon your carpet.
9. Getting to meet a ton of other dog lovers at the local PetSmart. For some reason we all seem to congregate at this location. Why is that?
8. You never really liked that jacket anyway.
7. Coming around the corner and finding your son with his face buried in the puppy’s fur…and then seeing the look of pure contentment when your son goes on his way.
6. Chatting with that sweet elderly librarian while you’re paying for the paperback book that just got chewed.
5. Home security and a foolproof snooze button. If you know what I mean.
4. (This one comes via my children.) Finally getting to use the excuse “My dog ate my homework.” Guess what? Dogs really do this! And even worse was what my 6-year-old said when I showed her the masticated Math-U-See book. She took one look and said, “Good job, Ellie!” And gave her a big thumbs-up.
3. Growth in humility. (Need I say more?)
2. Having an absolutely beautiful Golden Retriever sitting peacefully on the hearth. I tell you, she’s even better than a pair of topiaries. (Not that I’ll be decorating with a pair of topiaries any time soon or anything.)
And the Number 1 reason why having a dog makes your life better is…
1. It feels good to a child to be needed, and even better to be loved.
Ad Jesum per Mariam,